Wednesday, January 15, 2014

crossword constructor at 100 years old

"Yahoo!" has a wonderful article about Bernice Gordon, a cruciverbalist who has recently turned 100. Go read it, it's fun!

I don't know if I'll reach 100, but if I do, I would love to still be constructing crosswords at that age (and hopefully continuing to publish them at World of Crosswords!).

On a related note: some studies say it's possible that doing the crossword on a regular basis can prevent diseases of the brain like Alzheimer's (article in the Daily Express). Unfortunately, some neuroscientists, such as Nicholas Spitzer, disagree (article in The Economist). As usual, there are no guarantees... but it's pretty clear that doing the crossword does develop your vocabulary and expose you to interesting facts that you might not see otherwise. Plus, they're just fun - which is the main reason to do them!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to Dr. James for his help in shrinking off my long term uterine fibroid. I had pelvic pain, heavy menses and swelling. I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with fibroid and advised to go for surgery. I was scared and I went online for more info and remedy about fibroid. Luckily, I found Dr. James natural medication for fibroid. I reached out to him, and he prepared me with his herbal medicine for  fibroid shrinking, and i used the medicine as he prescribed for me and my fibroid disappeared totally and is now a year plus since I got cured.his herbal medicine is easy to drink with no side effects.If you know anyone suffering from these diseases or having any health challenges should contact Dr. JAMES for natural treatments. His herbal mix medicine is easy to drink with no side effects. Dr.James has cure for diseases like  Pcos,Plantar-warts,Ovarian cyst, Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease ,Celiac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration, Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis,Lupus,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis, Hypertension,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer, Breast Cancer, Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV/AIDS, Herpes Virus,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory, Diabetes,Fibroid. Contact this Great man on his email and get a permanent cure of your diseases. Dr James  Email  Address     [greatcureman@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete